administrative company creation
This first step is what will enable your business to legally exist in Switzerland. This process of creation of a company starts with the opening of a bank account and the deposit of capital into a deposit account, as well as the legal declaration with a notary.
important points to consider for: company creation in Switzerland
2. c/a account
select type of company
complete relevant questionnaire
kyc document to complete
If you wish to set-up your company in Switzerland, the notary public will assist you.
First you need to select the legal form of your new company: i.e.,
. Sàrl: Limited responsibility company, min. capital CHF 20,000 paid-in
. SA: Limited company by shares, min. capital CHF 100,000, min. paid-in CHF 50,000
These company types are the main ones used in Switzerland, we will not cover the other types of companies but if you wish, you can read our article: Starting a business in Switzerland: the key points.
Creating a representation or branch office of a foreign entity in Switzerland can be challenging:
- you have a permanent establishment, thus implying a tax obligation
- the requirements of the Swiss Commercial Register in each Canton may vary in terms of documentation
Note : To use a name, it must officially be approved to be sure that two companies do not use the same name. The Swiss Federal Register lists all registered companies. In order to avoid being rejected, you’d better check availabilities: Zefix.
As a business, you can decide to protect your innovations and creations. You must also be careful to respect the property of others. Different forms of protection exist:
- Brand protection for product names and logos,
- Patents for technical inventions,
- Design protection for plans and designs,
- Copyright protection for all this is artistic.
For the intellectual property protection to be valid, it must be made with the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI) and renewed periodically.
Opening a bank account is one of the first steps you have to take, unless you will not be able to operate your business. The operating account is the most important step, as the bank could potentially agree to open the consignation account but refuse to operate money after the setting up of the company.
The bank will open a consignation account for the paid-in capital to create your company. They will issue a certificate to the attention of the notary.
Once the company is created, the funds are transferred into a current account and made available to the company.
BANK ACCOUNT OPENING
The opening of a bank account has become quite challenging over the last few years, stronger KYC (Know Your Client) procedures have been implemented by the banks.
The list of information required has increased, such as :
- Full details on BO (Beneficial owner)
- Detailed questionnaire on opportunity
- Business details
- Potential client’s information
- Analysis of counterparty risk
- Analysis of country risk
KYC Form to be completed to open an operation account with a bank
Download new bank account questionnaire :
Some useful links
Most of the information to create your business are available on this site. However, if you need more details or tools, these sites can help you:
- Easygov: Since november 2017, a new site that has regularly evolves was launched by the Confederation, cantons and municipalities to facilitate setting up your company in Switzerland. The site provides some useful information, but above all it allows to make electronically the required administrative procedures with ease and speed such as the registration of a new company in the commercial register, the VAT registration, the registration to the AVS and accident insurance, debt enforcement proceeding or modify the commercial register.
- S-GE: Recognized as one of the best places in the world for innovation, Switzerland offers economic and political stability as well as a living environment that inspires more than one entrepreneur. From SECO and the cantons, on its website, the Switzerland Global Entreprise association highlights the country’s assets to launch its business.
It was the first step to create your business in Swizerland
If you’ve done it, congratulations, you’ve almost accomplished the most difficult and you can move on to the second stage : Human Resources and staff.
Do you still have doubts or questions ?
Why is accounting so important for your company?